Here is what I consider some of the most common mistakes you can make on your website. Not in any particular order.
- Not saying what the company does, especially on the home page.
- Broken links: Moving content to a new url and not updating links causing the old links to break.
- Out-of-date content: Customers expect your website to contain the latest information about your products, services, and company.
- Design is too busy
- No clear call to action: What do you want users to do once they’ve found your website? Do you want them to buy your product, contact you, or subscribe to your newsletter?
- Taking the DIY route: Your website is often your customers first experience with your brand. Remember first impressions are everything.
- Bad navigation: Users should be able to find their way around easily. Navigation must be intuitive and consistent.
I’m a Freelance Web Developer, specialising in Web Design, Web Development, Search Engine Optimisation and Web Standards Compliant Website Design located in Sydney. Other Services include – Photography, Graphic Design, Web Hosting and Domain Registration. I believe it is these skills that will make me perfect for your project.
My Design Process
To design a successful website you must first ask yourself some important questions to clearly define your marketing goals.
I break each project into phases, each of which ends with a client sign-off. We do this to keep the project on track and within the budget.
Here are some important questions you need to ask yourself before you get your website. They will assist you in developing your strategy.
- Who is your target market?
- What is your most wanted response from your site?
- What design style do you like or dislike?
- How will your site be navigated?
- What type of graphics will your site use?
- Will you provide the graphics needed?
- What type of content will your site offer?
- Will you provide the content needed?
- How will you accept payment through your site?
- Do you have a domain name?
- Do you need to register a domain name?
- Do you have a web host for your website?
- Will you have a mailing list?
- How will you drive traffic to your web site?
- How will you market and promote your website, products
- What are some websites you like? What do you like about them? for example the layout, colours, fonts, navigation etc
- What is your deadline for the completion of the website?
- What is your budget?
- Do you have an existing business branding?
- Do you wish to update the web site yourself?
These questions will give you a basic idea of what is involved in developing a successful web site. To discuss this further contact me by emailing me directly at email@example.com.